Well I'm usually pretty glad to be in Croatia and not in Texas in August but this year is an exception. It's as hot here in Croatia as it is in Texas and that's ridiculous! You know the problem? Very few places have A/C and our churches for sure don't have A/C.
Tonight in church our pastor's little girl walked up to me and asked me, "do you know the difference between the back of my neck and hell (actually the word is Pakao in Croatian and it's not used as a curse word)?" I said, "Nah, what's the difference?" She smiled and said, "about 2 degrees." HA, she's a hoot!
Anyhow, here's an ode to Summer in Texas and in my case Croatia.
1. The birds have to use potholders to pull worms out of the ground
2. The trees are whistling for the dogs
3. The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance
4. Hot water now comes out of both taps
5. You can make sun tea instantly
6. You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron
7. The temperature drops below 95 and you feel a little chilly
8. You discover that in August it only takes 2 fingers to steer your car
9. You discover that you can get sunburned through your car window
10. You actually burn your hand opening the car door
11. You break into a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m
12. Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, 'What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death
13. You realize that asphalt has a liquid state
14. The potatoes cook underground, so all you have to do is pull one out and add butter, salt and pepper
15. Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying boiled eggs
16. The cows are giving evaporated milk
Ah, what a place to call home.. . God Bless The Lone Star State of Texas................