Nov 18, 2014

Low Carb Taco Soup

I love this time of year. I love crisp days, warm fires and yummo soups! I love the cozy feeling of cuddling on the couch with a blanket and my Baby Love. Last April I completely cut out gluten and started a low carb high fat way of eating. I've lost 50 lbs and cured many of the ailments I was experiencing. Anyhoo, this low carb taco soup is a serious contender for the "Yummiest Soup of the Season or Ever!" award. 
What's great about it is that the family will never know it's low carb cause it just plain delish! My family eats it with corn tortilla chips and they love it!



TACO SOUP 

INGREDIENTS 
1 lb of ground beef
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of chili powder
8 ounces of cream cheese
2 10 ounce cans of Rotel tomatoes (I only added 1 can of tomatoes to try to cut back on the carbs)
1 can of beef broth
3/4 – 1 cup of heavy cream (I added only 1/2 C and it was still creamy)

DIRECTIONS
1. Brown your meat and drain fat
2. Add in garlic and onion and cook till onions are translucent
3. Add in spices and mix well.
4. With the back of a wooden spoon mix or smush in the cream cheese until incorporated. 
5. Add, tomatoes, broth and heavy cream and simmer for 5 minutes. 
6. Enjoy with some chips (if your not low carb) and family!

*The soup may seem a bit thin but it's thickens after a few minutes. 

Makes 8 cups or 6-8 servings
Freezing not recommended

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Per 1/6 Recipe: 361 Calories; 29g Fat; 18g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Recipe: 271 Calories; 22g Fat; 13g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

For more great low carb recipes check out Linda's Low Carb Menus and Recipes

siggy






I'm participating in the following blog hops!




9 comments:

  1. That looks yummy on this COLD day in North Alabama. Good for you , losing all that weight. I am calorie counting at the moment and hope to lose about 30 pounds. It is harder as I get older! Slow metabolism is not fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arlene, I know, I wish I had succeed in the multitude of attemps I make through my 20s and 30s. It's much harder in my 40s. Looking forward to hearing about your 30 lb success!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous1:44 PM

    Hi Tori, Thank you for your visit. I love your blog. Congrats on the weight loss. Thx for this delicious recipe. It is even cold in Georgia today! Mildred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mildred, You are very welcome. You have a lovely blog!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog (A Bench with a View) and your comment. WTG on cutting out gluten and the weight loss you achieved! This recipe looks good; I'm going to copy it and make it sometime! I want to eat more soup this winter; it is good for taking the chill off (not that it ever gets that "cold" in Southern California :)

    Enjoy the day :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, thank you for the return visit. I loved your blog, such lovely photos! Hope you enjoy the soup and stay warm. ;0)

      Delete
  4. Tori, the soup looks great! I've just met you but I wanted to say congrats on the weight loss! Have you perhaps written about your weight loss on your blog? I'm sure a lot of us would be interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerralea, thanks! I have been wanting to write about the weightloss but the truth is I don't have any current photos. How strange it is that I have a ton of fat photos and very few current photos. I'm gonna get my sweet daughter to snap some for a post. So it should be coming soon. Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  5. Looks perfect for dinner on these cold nights!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete

Hey thanks in advance for leaving a comment, sure do appreciate it!!