Sitting here this morning reading my Bible I can't help but reflect on what a sure word we have in the KJV Bible. What a gift to be able to read the words of this book and know without a shadow of a doubt that these are the very Word's of God.
It's an amazing Book that is alive and becomes new to the reader with every word.
Here are some really interesting Bible facts. Did you know.....
- The Bible can be read aloud in 70 hours.
- A number of verses in the Bible (KJV) contain all but 1
letter of the alphabet: Ezra 7:21 contains all but the letter j; Joshua 7:24, 1
Kings 1:9, 1 Chronicles 12:40, 2 Chronicles 36:10, Ezekiel 28:13, Daniel 4:37,
and Haggai 1:1 contain all but q; 2 Kings 16:15 and 1 Chronicles 4:10 contain
all but z; and Galatians 1:14 contains all but k.
- The system of chapters was introduced in A.D. 1238 by
Cardinal Hugo de S. Caro, while the verse notations were added in 1551 by
Robertus Stephanus, after the advent of printing.
Society of Gideons, and the International Bible Society, the number of new
Bibles that are sold, given away, or otherwise distributed in the United States
is about 168,000 per day.
- Number of books in the Bible: 66
- Chapters: 1,189
- Verses: 31,101
- Words: 783,137
- Letters: 3,566,480
- Number of promises given in the Bible: 1,260
- Commands: 6,468
- Predictions: over 8,000
- Fulfilled prophecy: 3,268 verses
- Unfulfilled prophecy: 3,140
- Number of questions: 3,294
- Longest name: Mahershalalhashbaz (Isaiah 8:1)
- Longest verse: Esther 8:9 (78 words)
- Shortest verse: John 11:35 (2 words: "Jesus
- Middle books: Micah and Nahum
- Middle verse: Psalm 118:8
- Middle chapter: Psalm 117
- Shortest chapter: Psalm 117 (by number of words)
- Longest book: Psalms (150 chapters)
- Shortest book (by number of words): 3 John
- Longest chapter: Psalm 119 (176 verses)
- Number of times the word "God" appears: 3,358
- Number of times the word "Lord" appears: 7,736
- Number of different authors: 40
- Number of languages the Bible has been translated into: over
OLD TESTAMENT STATISTICS:
- Number of books: 39
- Chapters: 929
- Verses: 23,114
- Words: 602,585
- Letters: 2,278,100
- Middle book: Proverbs
- Middle chapter: Job 20
- Middle verses: 2 Chronicles 20:17,18
- Smallest book: Obadiah
- Shortest verse: 1 Chronicles 1:25
- Longest verse: Esther 8:9
- Longest chapter: Psalms 119
- Largest book: Psalms
NEW TESTAMENT STATISTICS:
- Number of books: 27
- Chapters: 260
- Verses: 7,957
- Words: 180,552
- Letters: 838,380
- Middle book: 2 Thessalonians
- Middle chapters: Romans 8, 9
- Middle verse: Acts 27:17
- Smallest book: 3 John
- Shortest verse: John 11:35
- Longest verse: Revelation 20:4
- Longest chapter: Luke 1
- Largest book: Luke
- About 50 Bibles are sold every minute
- The Bible was written in three languages: Hebrew, Aramaic,
and Koine Greek.
- Dogs are mentioned 14 times in the Bible, and lions 55
times, but domestic cats are not mentioned at all.
- The Bible, the world's best-selling book, is also the
world's most shoplifted book.
- The word "Christian" appears only three times in
the Bible: Acts 11:26; 26:28; 1 Peter 4:16.
- There are 66 books in the Bible, 39 in the Old Testament and
27 in the New Testament.
- The 66 books of the Bible is divided into 1,189 chapters
consisting of 31,173 verses. The Old Testament has 929 chapters, the New
Testament 260. (King James version)
- The King James Old Testament consist of 592,439 words
consisting of 2,728,100 letters and the New Testament 181,253 words consisting
of 838,380 letter (total 3,566,480 letters).
- The longest line in the Bible is Esther 8:9 - 89 words, 425
- The longest word in the Bible is Maher-shalal-hash-baz:
- The longest book chapter in the Bible is Psalm 119, the
shortest is Psalm 117.
- There are 594 chapters before Psalm 118 and 594 chapters
- Psalm 118 verse 8 is in the center of the Bible: "It is
better to trust in the Lord than put confidence in man."
- Obadiah, with 21 verses consisting of 602 words, is the
shortest book in the Old Testament, and the third shortest in the Bible.
- II John has the fewest number of verses of any book in the
Bible - it is the shortest book in the Bible.
- III John has the fewest number of words of any book in the
- Job is the oldest book written in the Bible - it was written
by an unknown Israelite around 1500 BC.
- Malachi, written about 400 BC, is the youngest book in the
- James, written around 45 AD, is the oldest book in the New
- Revelation, written about 95 AD, is the youngest book in the
- The verse in the exact middle of the Bible is Psalm 117:8.
There are 594 chapters before Psalm 117 and 594 chapters after Psalm 117.
- Paul wrote 14 (of the
27) books of the New Testament.
- The word "Lord" appears 1855 times in the Bible.
- The word "God" appears in every book except Esther
and Song of Solomon.
- The word "grandmother" appears in the Bible only
once: 2 Timothy 1:5.
- The word "eternity" is mentioned only once: Isaiah
- Seven suicides are recorded in the Bible.
- In Old Testament times the Mediterranean Sea was called the
- There are 7 different Jeremiahs in the Bible: 1 Chronicles
5:24; 12:4, 10, 13; 2 Kings 23:30; Jeremiah 1:1; 35:3.
- The raven is the first bird mention in the Bible. It appears
in Genesis 8:7, when it is sent out from the ark by Noah to see if the flood
waters have abated. The second bird was a dove, in verse 8.
- Almonds and pistachios are the only nuts mentioned in the
- A chariot imported from Egypt cost around 600 shekels of
silver (1 Kings 10:29). That would be about $77,000. One shekel was 4 days
- The word "trinity" is not mentioned in the Bible.
- Methuselah is the oldest man on record: 969 years old