Wow, I can't believe it, I'm a walker!!!
Traci (new missionary wife in Croatia) and I have been walking daily since Monday. I'm so excited to say that we have walked just short of 15 miles in 4 days. YEA for us!
I have always wanted to be a walker. I am so blessed to live in a country that is a clean and very safe place to walk. I don't think I'd be taking all these walks if I were in the states.
I know that it's said to be the best overall exercise and it's so cheap too. Walking is a great way to maintain a healthy body and the means I'm using to get one!
Here are some of the many benefits of walking on a consistent basis.
• Reduces the risk of heart disease by improving blood circulation throughout the body.
• Keeps weight under control.
• Improves blood cholesterol levels.
• Prevents and reduces high blood pressure.
• Prevents bone loss.
• Boosts energy level.
• Helps manage stress.
• Releases tension.
• Improves the ability to fall asleep quickly and sleep well.
• Improves self-image.
• Counters anxiety and depression and increases enthusiasm and optimism.
• Increases muscle strength, giving greater capacity for other physical activities.
• Provides a way to share an activity with family and friends.
• Establishes good heart-healthy habits in children and counters the conditions (obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, poor lifestyle habits, etc.) that lead to heart attack and stroke later in life.
• In older people, it helps delay or prevents chronic illnesses and diseases associated with aging and maintains quality of life and independence longer.
Okay so my little ticker in the sidebar says that we've walked almost 15 miles and our short term goal is 100 miles. WOW! You just wait, it wont be long!