Spicy Chicken & Lime Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 medium onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 medium jalapeno
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3/4 lb. chicken breast
- 6 C chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) chopped tomatoes with chilis
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1 medium lime
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 medium avocado
1. Sautee chopped onions, celery, jalapeno (minus the seeds) and garlic in large pot until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the chicken breasts, broth, canned tomatoes, oregano, and cumin. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer, covered for an hour.
3. After an hour, shred the chicken, return to the pot. Squeeze the complete lime into the soup.
4. Roughly cut the cilantro, add to the pot and serve with chopped avocado.
*my family added tortilla chips to their soup and a dollop of sour cream.
This is the most amazing recipe. It tastes just like the one I had years ago Mexican restaurant. Not only is this the most flavorsome soup ever but it's low carb too!!! That means I can fill up on it and without guilt!
Sadly, I can't claim the credit for this recipe and I can't remember where I go it. So just enjoy!