One of the things of the to-do list was to move Hannah into the boys' old room. It's larger and her room will son become my sewing *whoohoo* room/guest room. Anyhoo, we had to cover up Josh's scuffed gray walls before she could make her move. Hannah loves chartreuse and turquoise (like her Mama) so we went and got the paint and went to work.
We debated back and forth between several options, diagonal stripes, chevron, diamonds and her idea for huge circles. Finally I usurped my seniority and trumped her circles for chevron.
The pattern was a booger at least for this beginner but once it was measured and taped the painting went really quick.
In case you're wondering, I used a fancy square top to our Bible trivia game to lightly draw squares starting at the top left and then covered the entire wall. Then I just went corner to corner of the draw on squares to make the chevron. It was really pretty easy, a little time consuming but it would be a great project for a smaller foyer wall or any focal wall. I wold love to do a tone on tone in my foyer and maybe will, I'll letcha know.
In case you're puzzled, we continued two of the chevrons onto the little corner thinggy (boiler smoke stack) just 'cause we could. Not sure if I'm sold on it but Hannah likes it.
So we finished putting all her stuff in her room so it's not sparse like the above photo, not even close and guess what...I still had a bucket of turquoise paint. I hate to see good paint go to waste 'cause after a while it starts to separate and eventually it's useless so I found something to use it on.
I bought this little table at a thrift shop in the Sates several furloughs ago and brought it to Croatia when we shipped a container of Bibles here. It originally looked a bit better but after living on the back patio and seeing too much action it's a little worse for the wear. So...No, I didn't chunk it, I got my turquoise paint out and rescued the sad little thing.
I didn't want a new-looking table so I decided to try something different. I painted two coats of the paint on the table and then sanded the paint off of the places that would be most touched or bumped in regular use.
You can see below what I mean. I have several close-ups to show the distressing. After that I took a can of
walnut stain from the stash in the garage and decided to age it.
I dry rubbed stain very sparingly all over the sucker! I was pretty hap-hazard about it. I did add a little extra stain where I had distressed to make it a little dirtied-up. I
love Super-love the final result!
You can see in the above photo how the stain gave the turquoise paint a nice aged look and the distressing actually looks believable, I think.
I really distressed quite a bit on the corner posts, amazing how it looks like worn paint.
Oh yea and it had old, ugly brassy looking casters on it and I removed them when I painted so I could spray them black but after careful consideration (yeah right) I decided the old, ugly caster actually lent to the aged look. I love it when not doing anything makes things awesome. :0)
So I'm pretty pleased with my little serving trolley and you can be guaranteed that it won't weather the elements on the patio anymore.