Feb 5, 2008

My True Love Cake

This looks like the most delish Valentines cake ever. I got it from the Taste of Home newsletter today and thought I would share it with you folks who don't get the newsletter.

My True Love Cake
Taste of Home
"Like my mother and grandmother, I have special recipe for every occasion," notes Beverly Coyde of Gasport, New York. "For Valentine's Day - one of my favorite holidays - this beautiful cake is an outstanding treat."

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil

FILLING:
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling, divided

Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat in water and oil until smooth. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. heart-shaped baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Beat in cream and extract. Place one cake on a serving plate; spread with half of cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Top with 1 cup pie filling and second cake; spread with remaining cream cheese mixture. Make a heart-shaped indentation in center of cake; fill with remaining pie filling. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.



Nutrition Facts
One serving:
(1 slice)
Calories:
557
Fat:
26 g
Saturated Fat:
12 g
Cholesterol:
84 mg
Sodium:
271 mg
Carbohydrate:
76 g
Fiber:
1 g
Protein:
6 g

If you like this recipe, the Taste of Home magazine is full of these. It's a great magazines, one of my favorites.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:21 PM

    Oh wow, that just looks soooo yummy!!!! :-)

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to get this magazine and have gotten many wonderful recipes from it. This cake looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOO that looks so good!!!

    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tori, I was excited about this recipe until you posted the nutritional information. LOL But I do have a heart-shaped cake pan and I plan so I'll probably try it anyway!
    :)

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty cake! I like themed desserts, like that. But I agree...did you have to post the nutritional content? :)

    Thanks for your comment on my blog! I have been over here before, but I don't think I commented. Thanks for your work with the Croatian people! My dad was born and raised in Czechoslovakia (he escaped in the early 70's) so I have a special place in my heart for Eastern European folk. They need the Lord!

    Have a great day!
    Abbi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:23 PM

    The cake looks delicious!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's great to meet another Independent Baptist, KJB only mother. You made my day!

    My sister is a missionary in Portugal. I love to read missionary blogs so I will be adding you to my bloglines.

    God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Hey thanks in advance for leaving a comment, sure do appreciate it!!